Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Truly "Progressive" Catholics Will Love Pope Benedict

I am a political progressive, which unfortunately has become a loaded term that is almost synonymous with liberal. I might very well be a liberal too—if it means concern for the other guy (including the unborn). But what is even more important than all of this is simple: I am wholeheartedly with and for the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. I have a deep love for the Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI. I came across this article (below) a long while ago. I skimmed it, thought it was interesting and moved on. Now, I think it is something that all Catholics should read. The position of the author as he describes the challenges he faces, what many Catholics face, I unquestionably identify with.

I remember my dark, shameful days of “cafeteria Catholicism.” Praise be to God, I was not baptized yet, and thus, not actually Catholic. Through his servant, Pope Benedict XVI, God showed me what true progressivism is. I have frequently heard it posited that Pope Benedict XVI is more conservative than Pope John Paul II. Perhaps this is true. I have heard many recount how liberal Jesuits they knew were angered by the election of Pope Benedict XVI.

I personally don't like the common tendency to politicize the Church as liberal or conservative. I think Pope Benedict XVI is progressive; he is continuing a beautiful and priceless legacy that Pope John Paul II gave to God, to the Church, and to the human race and like Joshua stepping forward as Moses’ time ends, Benedict XVI now leads the faithful into the third millennium, ever closer to the promised lands.

I applaud this article and I think any true, progressive Catholic should love Pope Benedict XVI.

I would recommend reading Crossing the Threshold of Hope by Pope John Paul II and Christianity and the Crisis of Cultures by Pope Benedict XVI. These two works show how these Catholic intellectual giants are neither "liberal" or "conservative," but rather they are simply orthodox and in being orthodox they desire to see humanity progress toward fulfillment in accordance with the truth.

Truly "Progressive" Catholics Will Love Pope Benedict XVI.

0 Comments:

This Catholic Loves Benedict XVI

This Catholic Loves Benedict XVI

Knights of Columbus: Champions for the Family

Knights of Columbus: Champions for the Family

The Pro-Life Movement in the Democratic Party

The Pro-Life Movement in the Democratic Party